Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Hillsborough police chief to resign

Head of the Hillsborough Police Department, Clarence Birkhead, will step down April 2 to focus on candidacy for sheriff of Orange County.



“I feel that I should devote all of my energies to my campaign. Under the circumstances, I feel it is best for the Town of Hillsborough and my campaign to step down," Birkhead stated in his resignation letter.

Birkhead has been Hillsborough’s police chief for almost five years.

Birkhead said: “During my tenure, the Police Department has markedly improved its service to our citizens. We have experienced successes in all areas of police service. I am confident that I leave the department in a strong position for continued success and excellent service under the leadership of my successor.”

Town Manager Eric Peterson hopes to name an interim chief by early next week.

“We are all thankful for the many improvements Chief Birkhead has made over the past five years to improve the quality of policing that’s been provided to Hillsborough’s citizens,” Peterson said.

The police department said that it would likely be six months before a new police chief is hired.

No comments:

Post a Comment